Sunday, December 20, 2009

All I want for Christmas.


It's hard to believe that we are entering Christmas week and I've scarcely updated my Dogblog more than once this month. Business wise the main event has been the double national holiday tacked on to the weekend of December 5th. The motive for the double celebration is that there is one day off for the Fiesta of the Immaculate Virgin, and one day off to celebrate the National Day of the Constitution - an important date for Spain since there are many people here who remember a time when Spain was not a democracy and did not have a constitution. The reality is that for many Spanish this is the holiday when everyone should head for the mountains to catch the last glimpses of Autumn and maybe even glimpse the newly fallen snow. During this weekend the Alpujarras was full to bursting point.

The garden is gradually falling into its winter sleep, but there are some striking winter colours to be seen. I try to get out during the afternoons when I can to see what the two tall ones are up to and have been pleasantly surprised to see them working hard on the far section of the land erecting some form of winter warmth tunnel. It is a most agreeable place to pass a breezy afternoon, but I hope they don't fill it up with too many plants otherwise there'll be nowhere left for a dachshund to warm himself and keep out of the occasionally chilly winter wind.


Ella and I are all set for Christmas. We've had a look through the TV programming and have set the DVD player to record 'Slumdog Millionnaire' and 'Dogone with the Wind'. As for gifts, well Ella has sent her letter to Santapaws. I helped her out with the spelling this time, so know that she has requested a pink mobile phone from the 'Hello Kitty' range, although she'll have no idea how to use it. I hope she gets a 'Pay as You Wooff' contract otherwise with the amount of barking she does it will break the bank. Failing that, she'll settle for the song by the winning contestant in X factor, which, due to an untimely power cut, she still thinks was her favourite, Stacey. As for myself, well this year I have shunned the obvious carpet slippers and hot water bottle and have put in a request for an 'iphone' complete with a paws free kit. This way I'm sure I can update my Dogblog with bark recognition and not have to clean the mud off my paws first. Not sure what our neighbours below are planning for the holidays, but I hope that the Christmas sun makes the grass taste sweet for them.


The house is full once more for Christmas and the New year, so I'll have my work cut out. I'll try and squeeze in one more Dogblog before we say 'adios' to 2009. In the meantime, have a great festive season.

Yours, ready to chuck another Yulelog on the fire,

Fergus


Paws for concern? When I arrived in the Alpujarras in 2003 I was the only dachshund in the village - possible the only pedigree. Recently, I have spotted two more youngsters bearing that same elegant long body and fine wirey coat. Two separate but good looking examples of my breed. Have I set a trend or am I being challenged? Watch this space.

1 comment:

  1. lornajonns@hotmail.co.ukDecember 23, 2009 at 9:16 AM

    Freezing here,pretty but impossible to get round!I guess its hard for a dog to get round the mountains in the snow?
    Give the tall ones the Jonns love.
    HAPPY CHRISTMAS and PEACEFUL and Successful NEW YEAR.
    LORNA

    ReplyDelete