Friday, February 6, 2009

Cold weather and balls of ice.


Listening to the radio today I was interested to learn that large parts of the UK are being affected by heavy snowfall, schools are closed, buses have stopped running and people are walking the streets in search of snow orientated pleasure. I well remember the few occasions when living in Essex that we were able to enjoy a stroll across the snow covered fields. Ice balls were a problem that afflicted me then, by which I mean the accumulation of ice in my leg pits that grew into a large solid ball and dearly impeded my progress. It is a problem that she doesn't appear to suffer from; I was told that being a girl she doesn't have balls, but I don't see how her gender can have any influence on the build up of frozen water.

Here where I now live in sunny Spain we have been experiencing a good deal of inclement weather, including snow. It seems the whole country has been sieged by torrential rain and high wind, resulting in great damage and in some circumstances, death. Roofs have been blown off and buildings collapsed. In Malaga they had a tornado! With us, things have been bad but no real damage so far, touch wood. A few minor landslides along the road and some lost strands of cane from the terrace shading. Yesterday the rainfall total was in excess of 60mm in 24 hours.

The forcast is for things to settle down a little over the next few days and for the sun to return. This being the case I sincerely hope we take the opportunity of a romp in the snow, which I can see clearly from the terrace. I had better prepare myself for balls of ice.

Yours, from the fireside,

Fergus.

No comments:

Post a Comment