Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Walk in the Snow


The weather forecast this week has predicted sunny days, and certainly the mornings have been sparklingly blue, but the afternoons have been a disappointment with grey clouds rolling into the valley. There has certainly been a need for a warm fire to sit by at night - would that the tall one would light it!

Today, though, we rose above it all and took a walk way into the snow line, venturing up the Lomo de Jabali - where I famously once chased and saw off a large wild boar. The scenery was spectacular, pure white snow, fresh green pine trees and bue skies. As we climbed we could see the afternoon cloud entering the valley below us but we remained firmly in the land of the gods, in sunny splendour. Lunch was taken on a rocky outcrop, after which we descended into the gloom of the valley once more. I was front marker today as I sniffed out the ground ahead for more wild boar. All I could detect were wayward cows with the shaprest horns imagineable, so I saw to it that my tall companions were protected. I got a little agitated when, on arriving at the top of a steep slope of ice, all three of my tall fellow walkers sat down on their backsides and proceeded to slide to the bottom of the incline, propelled only by gravity.
She mucked around a little and tried to slide on her back but I think she started to feel the cold towards the end.

Members present at start of trip: three tall ones - Robert, Judith and Alan - plus myself and Ella.

Members present at end of the trip - all those who started it. Had hoped we might lose
her, all the more dinner for me. Next time maybe.

Now to catch up with my missed siesta.

Yours, from the dog bed,

Fergus.

No comments:

Post a Comment